Between Shows

Susan and Douglas share their theater experiences

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

New York in April 2

Next, we saw Sarah Jones in Bridge and Tunnel. She is an amazing actress who embodied the roles of 14 different immigrants. I liked it better than Douglas, and found the show interesting; I felt she embodied her characters well and portrayed them with warmth. Douglas felt her characters were stereotypes, but I felt their humanity was displayed well. She wrote the show where her cast performs at an open mike, and I was interested in most of them. Would that this production could help put a face on our immigrant community. recommend
Skin Tight from New Zealand won many prizes at the Edinburg Festival. Douglas liked it a little more than I did. It was mostly a 2-hander about the end of a marriage, and the cast was very competent in their physicality. However, the language seemed mundane, and I didn't care much about them. It makes me feel that we're not missing much by not going to Edinburg, which does seem overwhelming. Not recommended, but not unhappy that I saw it.
Shining City by Connor McPherson was very good, as expected. His writing is lyrical, and his characters are so human! Bryan O'Byrne, Martha Plimpton, and Oliver Platt were wonderful, and I cared about them very much. They all delivered monlogues with a lot of meaning. I'm not sure of the meaning of the surprise ending, and Douglas and I are still discussing it. I just read that Oliver Platt is not sure of the significance of the ending, so I would guess we each brought our own interpretation to it. Highly recommend.
Red Light Winter by Adam Rapp was another well-written, well-crafted play by a playwright I usually like. I liked this better than Douglas, as I did his play Blackbird. We both liked his Nocturne very much, and Douglas liked Finer Noble Gases much more than I did. He has an ear for young people on the margins of society, and I felt for his characters in this play. Christopher Denham, the star, was exceptional. We spoke to him after the show, and he seemed the same as he was in the show. This was another moving experience I will recommend.
One Good Marriage from Canada was the final show we saw. It was an interesting 2-hander about a couple who experienced a tragedy on their wedding day. I liked it better than Douglas and was especially taken by the language of playwright Sean Reycraft. Justin Conley and Siobhan Power were very good at expressing their thoughts and emotions. The ending was so unexpected that I felt it added a lot. Recommend.